USC Lyft Program Participants,
You may not have heard that Lyft (and Uber) were granted a reprieve in their ongoing court battle regarding drivers; you can read all about it by clicking here. We’re happy to share this news, and look forward to continuing to partner with Lyft to offer the USC Safe Rides Program.
Cruiser Closing Temporarily – Lyft “Classic” Rides Now Available at HSC and UPC!
Lyft is now available at HSC and UPC and will cover classic rides! Campus Cruiser will be closing beginning March 16th. While we are closed, Lyft will be providing our Safe Ride services. Lyft is suspending their Shared ride programs but will now provide classic rides for free. This service is now open to faculty and staff as well. Lyft at UPC is open 7 AM to 2 AM, seven days a week. Lyft at HSC is open 7 AM to midnight, Monday through Friday only. If you need access to this program and have not received an invitation, please email Michelle Garcia at email@example.com
Health is on all of our minds now more than ever. Lyft is accelerating efforts, such as requiring masks on all rides, to help safeguard riders and drivers. Read more about their efforts here
Supplemental Ride Program Powered by Lyft
How does it work?
- Students, faculty and staff now have access to free rides provided by Lyft. The rides must be within the UPC or HSC geofence and be within a qualifying time frame. Please send an invitation request to Michelle Garcia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The UPC program operates from 7am til 2am, daily. During these hours, you can take a free Lyft classic ride inside the Lyft Safe Ride Program boundary.
- The HSC program operates from 7am to midnight, Monday through Friday only. The HSC program enables you to receive free rides within the boundary, and to/from HSC and Union Station. (If you also have a Business account, make sure you take your ride in PERSONAL mode, indicated near the payment method on the request screen.)
If you have any questions or run in to any difficulties, please contact Michelle Garcia at email@example.com.
How do I check my ride is free?
• It will say USC Safe Rides or HSC Safe Rides in the promo section of the app.
• The quote fare box will say FREE after you enter your pick-up and drop-off locations.
• You will get a $0.00 receipt after your ride is completed.
A few other things to know:
- Please do not share your invite with anyone. Invites are unique and once they are activated they will not work again.
- Your credits do not cover excessive Primetime fares or cancellations.
- Credits will automatically renew every month—you do not have to do anything to renew credits.
- Free ride hours may change due to holidays, football games, etc. On these days, we will update the service hours on this page and in the promo section of the Lyft app.
- If you change your phone number, don’t create a new account. Instead, tap on ‘Settings’ and type in your phone number, then Save. Visit Lyft support if you need assistance.
UPC Ride Share Zones:
Ride share zones 6 am – 8 pm
4.Uytengsu Aquatics Center
McCarthy/Fig Rideshare zones 8 pm – 6 am
1.Cardinal Gardens Apartments, near Metro stop at McClintock
2.Hebrew Union College, on 32nd Street
Safety tips when using Lyft
- TRAVEL IN PAIRS: Travel with a friend – the “safety in numbers” concept really works, especially if your judgment is impaired.
- VERIFY YOUR DRIVER AND CAR: Once you have requested an Lyft ride, you can view the driver’s rating. When your ride arrives, make sure the driver’s photo, license plate number, and vehicle description match. Never take a ride you did not request or get into a car that doesn’t match the details provided by the Lyft app.
- GO THE EXTRA MILE: The Lyft app’s “share your ETA” function allows you to invite friends to see your trip in real-time. The app will draft a text message you can share with friends that includes your ETA and a link to a live map that allows them to track your trip. Too much effort? Call a pal and stay on the line while you’re in the car instead.